Tuesday Lettering Tips


Every Tuesday, I'll be giving my top three tips of the week based off of the comments and questions received in our Planner Lettering Facebook group. This week, the three most popular topics/questions were:

1. How do I get my layouts look the way they do,
2. Which pens were best for a beginning letterer, 
3. How do I write/letter (insert letter here) 

If you'd like to join our Facebook group to watch the video, please click here.

First, My Planner Intentions

In order to know what to do, I need to know where I'd like to end up. Whenever I look at my planner, I want to feel excited about my week and happy with all the things that I've accomplished. When this year is over, what I'd really like is for my planner to be a culmination of all the things that I've done - not just task-wise, but creatively as well. I believe that our planners act as a reflection of our minds and come January 2019, I want my planner to be the most shmexiest eye candy ever.



Achieving my "style"

To achieve this look, I letter. Its something personal, its something that I've created, and it reflects my mood, abilities, and level of creativity at that moment in time. Now how in the world do I get these picturesque lines and consistently sized letters you ask? Well, with a handy-dandy straight edge!

Check out this tip on what I call, The Straight Edge Difference.

So many pens, so little time

For beginning letterers, the initial instinct is to just buy it and try it. It's definitely not the wrong way to go (I started that way), but it's most definitely not the most efficient. So to help you on your lettering journey, I've compiled a list of my top 5 suggested brush pens for beginning brush letterers. I hope it helps!

Lettering Tips - A, B, C

I love how dedicated some people are to "getting it right." Here are my 5 tips to improving your Fauxligraphy and your Brush lettering, followed by how to letter A, B, and C!
  1. All things start with a strong foundation - practice basic cursive to perfect everything from spacing, and size to connecting letters
  2. Think of letters as a shape made up of strokes (which is why tip #1 is important)
  3. Be patient - this isn't a race. Think of lettering as creative meditation and take the time to give each letter the time it deserves to be created
  4. When doing fauxligraphy, it may be easier to color in by letter (especially when using paint pens)
  5. Its all about the pressure. Up = thin, light pressure, down = thick, heavy pressure

Letter A - Basic Cursive, Fauxligraphy, and Brush Lettering

Letter B - Basic Cursive, Fauxligraphy, and Brush Lettering

Letter C - Basic Cursive, Fauxligraphy, and Brush Lettering 

Remember that all things happen with time and practice - nothing happens overnight.

Until Next Time, A Hui Hou

Please feel free to share this and join our group - practice makes progress and what better way to do it than with a positive and supportive community?

KP


Comments