Planner Lettering Tips and Tricks: 10 Minute Quickie


10-Minute Quickie

Hey Planner Lettering ʻohana! If you haven't already, please join our Facebook Planner Lettering group for daily tips, inspiration, and to be a member of an awesome community. Every day, I post a video in alignment with the weekly 10-minute quickie challenge. Now, I realize that everyone doesn't have time to watch a 10-minute video so I decided to write about it!

Step One

Write out any quotes that you'd like to letter in the challenge. This weeks challenge is nature! I was inspired by the word "bloom" so I chose a bunch of bloom quotes. 

Step Two


Circle any words that are meaningful to you or that you'd like to put emphasis on so that you have a visual reminder while you are lettering. It's not completely necessary to do this every time, but it's definitely a great practice so that you can practice composing an amazing lettering piece.

Step Three


3-2-1, GO! Set a timer for 10 minutes, and letter away - here is what I came up with.

How do I put this in my Happy Planner?


We will use the quote "live life in full bloom" for our example. Live life and full bloom were the words I wanted to emphasize, so here is how I accomplished that (see picture above). To bring visual attention to specific words, create contrast. For example: use a different font (san serif vs. serif), create contrast in weight (.4 pen vs. .6 pen - adding fauxligraphy vs thin line), write in all caps vs. cursive. 

If you like, you can draw a box with the dimensions of the area you'd like to letter in. Here, I lettered my quote then, I drew the dimensions of the Happy Planner weekly box (1.5in x 2.5in) and transferred the lettering into the box to make sure it fit. By practicing, you can make all of the mistakes you need to before putting it in your precious planner. Now you can letter with confidence because you have a plan, you practiced it, and you know how it's going to work out! 


Here's another way you can incorporate lettering into your planner. I needed a little extra motivation this week so I took the quote "be patient with yourself. Nothing in nature blooms all year," from this weeks 10-minute challenge and created an insert.  I used the Happy Planner hole punch and I'm super excited with how it turned out! Now I can move this quote around whenever I want and next year, I can look at how my lettering has changed since February 2018!


Please feel free to share this and join our group - practice makes progress and what better way to do it than with a positive and supportive community?

A hui hou! KP


Comments