Hand Lettering: Must Have Tools for Beginners

"What tools do I NEED to start lettering?"

Okay, this is by far one of the most asked questions I get from those who are just starting their lettering journey. I find that people don't really like my honest answer: Whatever you have. Any pen, any paper, just sit down and start. So I've decided to make this article to at least guide you down some path so that you can understand my reasoning behind some of these must-have tools, why I think you need them, and I'll even give you some budget-friendly options.
Now, before I get all the comments in regards to all the different variations and brands of pens and brush pens that you can purchase, let me start this off by saying these are my recommendations for beginning letterers. This is for people that have no idea where they want to start in regards to the types of hand lettering that there are out there (brush lettering, calligraphy, etc.) but they just know that they want to start right now, not next week. Secondly, let me state that the brands of pens in here are not a necessity just a preference. The reason why I am emphasizing words so much is that I feel that sometimes when we are starting something new, we feel like we need to go out and buy all of the things we see other people using.
This is a short list of the things that I feel you must have to start your lettering journey.

Pencil and Eraser




Honestly, any pencil and any eraser will do. I like this particular pencil because it works for me and I've had it for as long as I can remember. Same with this eraser. Here in Hawaii, we are so fortunate to be influenced by Japanse culture and these are common tools for one to have from elementary school. Now, I realize that not everyone is fortunate enough to grow up with Japanese stationery, so if you need to go out and purchase a pencil and eraser be sure to purchase one that isn't too soft (because you wont be able to see it) or too thick (because these leads tend to be softer and will cause graphite to get all over your hands). In regards to lettering, it's essential to have a pencil to be precise the first time around so that when you ink over your sketches you aren't working twice as hard. I suggest going with a mechanical pencil because sharpening is a pain and your point will always be sharp (plus its super convenient and sturdy).

Felt Tip Marker

These would be used to trace over your initial sketches and for things like coloring fauxligraphy. Depending on where you're lettering, you may need various sizes of felt tip markers. I suggest getting a fine, a medium, and a bold tip or just go with the sharpie dual tips if you have paper that can handle the ink.
The Pentel sign touch is a great starting point. It has a great barrel that makes for easy holding, the ink is quite consistent, and when erasing I never have a problem with losing the vibrancy of black.
Truthfully, once again - any felt tip marker will do. If you've got markers from your kids left over school supplies - I think you've just scored some lettering tools.

Gel Pens

For most people, lettering is a skill they're interested because they want to make their bullet journals, notes, or random lists look pretty. Having a solid and dependable gel pen is a good thing to have for those more intricate type treatments that you create. I also love the Pilot G2 so much that I ran out of ink and I didn't have one to take a picture so if you have those - also another good option.

Straight Edges

Now, I have an entire post on the difference that a straight edge can make and many of you that are in the Planner Lettering group I run, see me use a Lettermate time and time again. If all you have is a gift card - use it. Honestly, you just need something that will give you a straight edge to create guidelines. 
If you wanna step it up a notch, get a clear flexible ruler. I like having a clear ruler because it's easier to make lines for things when you can see the things beneath your ruler. I also like having a flexible ruler because... well, I break stuff easy and I like to travel with a straight edge sometimes.

Brush Pens

When people think hand lettering, pretty much this is what they're talking about - brush lettering. There are TON of brush pens out there, but these are the top two pens that I recommend for beginners. Why the Tombow Fudenosuke over the Tombow Dual Tip? Because upstrokes aren't easy when you first start to letter. For people that have never used a brush pen in their lives, going from a basic pen to the Tombow Dual Tip is going to be a challenging transition. It's not that it's not doable, its just that this is a good intermediate step before moving onto the dual tip.
If these two pens are unavailable wherever you are, just keep in mind that as a beginner you need a hard tip brush pen. Its not ideal to have a brush pen that is too flexible, too soft, too wide, or too long. Remember, you can always increase the tools in your arsenal after you get down the basics - and these two brush pens are a great starting point to start your brush pen collection. Interested in more beginner brush pens, check out my other beginner brush pen post.


So many tools, so little time

Remember, I know that there is a whole shiny world of stationery out there for you to purchase and explore, but just keep in mind the reason you're in the store in the first place. You wanted to start lettering today. Not tomorrow. Not next week or next month. Today. The singular most important thing that you need to do is just find some inspiration, sit down, and just start.
Looking for an interesting place to start? Check out our group and join in on our 10-minute quickies.

As always, until the next time... a hui hou!

Comments