40 Hikes in 365 Days

Making time for yourself, let alone fitness and adventure is not an easy task. Last year on my birthday, I decided to throw myself a curve ball and do just that: 40 hikes in one year. Why 40? No idea. But the goal was to show others and myself that there is a lot to explore in your own backyard and that you don't need to go far for an adventure. I wanted to appreciate my home a little bit more, and get myself away from the computer and diving into nature.

Kaʻau Crater - definitely one of the more difficult hikes I did in 2017. This hike consisted of 3 major waterfalls, going around a crater, and hiking up a ridge. There was also waterfall scaling, some rock climbing, and crouching because it was windy... so was it worth it? Absolutely. Would I do it again? Maybe in 2020!

Oh boy was this challenge worth it. Not to say that it was easy - it was actually really difficult. Although 40 was an arbitrary number, it wasn't until October that I realized exactly how ridiculous 40 hikes actually is. 40 hikes out of 52 weeks in a year - that means I'd have to do at least 3-4 hikes every month! At times I found myself wondering, "why did you even start this?" I didn't account for weather, I didn't account for family, I just didn't really think too hard about my goal and in retrospect 40 was a ridiculous number. Regardless, I did it. I did 40 hikes in 365 days and it was worth every step.
Mānoa Falls - not all hikes were difficult. But going off the beaten path on the easy ones was totally worth it. This fallen tree left a stump that was so picturesque that my friends and I couldnʻt resist taking a picture. This stump was much taller than i was and took a lot of effort to climb up on. Worth it!

I wish that I started blogging this from day one of last year, but there's no sense in regretting. Although I did these hikes last year, I remember them as if it were yesterday. What I'd like to do is write a little snippet about these hikes with the hopes of inspiring others to take a chance and explore their own back yards. So here's the list of my 40 hikes, and over time and through the course of me revisiting these hikes I'll do a little snippet about them and link them to this list.
Kuliʻouʻou - I saved this guy for last. My hands down absolute favorite hike that I would go on every weekend if I could (and I probably might haha). Moderate gain in elevation, definitely not easy, but not too difficult either. Options to take other routes that create a more technical aspect - the view is worth the climb!

Rules: 40 hikes, 365 days - no repeats. What is considered a "hike?" Anything listed on the All Trails App, Yelp, or Hiking websites and/or Blogs.

  1. Kaʻiwi Beach Hike
  2. Lulumahu
  3. Kaʻiwi Shoreline
  4. Makapuʻu
  5. Puʻu Pia
  6. Lēʻahi
  7. Kamananui Valley
  8. Ualakaʻa
  9. Maunalaha
  10. Mānoa Falls
  11. Waʻahila Ridge
  12. Awaʻawaloa
  13. ʻAiea Loop Trail
  14. Waimano Falls Lower
  15. Waimano Trails Upper
  16. Puʻu Maʻeliʻeli
  17. Kaʻiwi Tidepools
  18. Kawainui Marsh
  19. Liliʻuokalani Botanical Garden
  20. Alapena Pools
  21. Kapena Falls
  22. Friendship Gardens 
  23. Kokokahi
  24. Kaʻena (Mokuleʻia Side)
  25. Lyon Arboretum
  26. ʻAihualama Falls
  27. Foster Botanical Gardens
  28. Spitting Caves
  29. Pupukea
  30. Ehukai Pillboxes
  31. Kaʻau Crater
  32. Lanikai Pillboxes
  33. Haleʻiwa Shoreline
  34. Mahaʻulepu
  35. Punahoa Point/Kawailoa
  36. Poipu Beach/Makauwahi Cave
  37. Kamalani
  38. Kuliʻouʻou
  39. Puʻu o Hulu
  40. Kaʻena (Yokohama Side)

Comments